Seniors taste and desire for food reduce with age. They can’t eat as much as they once did and it can be overwhelming for them to try and prepare a meal in the kitchen. No energy or desires to cook, Depression and loneliness may affects desires or cravings, Loss of interest in food, Medications also may affect appetite in seniors. Because of this cooking for one isn’t always looked forward to, and the skills that a senior once had preparing meals may have diminished with time. Crock pots can be a lifesaver when it comes to preparing meals in advance with little preparation needed.
• 2-3 lbs of brisket
• 1/2 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce
• 1 onion, cut into quarters
• 4-5 garlic cloves, peeled, left whole
• Put the brisket into a slow cooker (we use our 6-qt cooker for this). Layer onions and garlic cloves on top of the meat.
• Pour half a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce on top. You can use more or less, depending on how “saucy” you like your beef.
• Turn the slow cooker on low and cook for at least 6 hours, or as many as 9-10 hours.
• About an hour before you want to serve the BBQ Beef, shred the beef by using two forks, pulling in opposite directions. The beef should be very tender and pull apart easily. If it doesn’t, you need to cook it longer.
• Serves 5-7 people.