- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Wash spinach thoroughly. Remove and discard tough stems.
- Cook spinach in a covered saucepan until wilted, about 3 minutes (or microwave on HIGH for 4 minutes). Don’t add any water. The water clinging to the leaves will provide enough steam to cook it. Cool and squeeze dry.
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet on medium heat. Saute onion, celery, red pepper and carrots for 5 minutes, until golden. Add mushrooms and cook 5 minutes longer (or cook veg-etables uncovered in the microwave for 6 to 8 minutes on HIGH).
- Chop spinach coarsely. Combine with remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour into a sprayed 7″ x 11″ Pyrex casserole.
- Bake uncovered at 350F for 45 to 50 minutes, until firm. Cut into squares to serve.
10 oz. package (300g) fresh spinach
2 onions, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
3 carrots, grated
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 eggs plus 2 whites (or 3 eggs)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper and garlic powder 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 cup matzo meal